- nounhuman blood cells (usually just the red blood cells) that have the same antigens• Syn: ↑blood type• Hypernyms: ↑blood• Hyponyms:↑A, ↑type A, ↑group A, ↑B, ↑type B, ↑group B, ↑AB, ↑type AB, ↑group AB, ↑O, ↑type O, ↑group O, ↑Rh-positive blood type, ↑Rh positive, ↑Rh-negative blood type, ↑Rh-negative blood, ↑Rh negative
* * *noun1. : a group of persons related by a blood bond2. : one of the classes into which human beings can be separated on the basis of their possession or nonpossession of certain antigens, the classical ABO antigens subdividing human blood into four groups: O, A, B, and AB — compare isoantibody, rh factor
* * *Med.any of various classes into which human blood can be divided according to immunological compatibility, based on the presence or absence of specific antigens on red blood cells. Also called blood type. Cf. ABO system, Rh factor.[1915-20]
* * *blood group nounAny of various types of blood identified and defined by their antigenetic structures, esp one of the four types of human blood (designated O, A, B, AB)• • •Main Entry: ↑blood
* * *one of the groups that human blood can be divided into. The four main groups are A , B , AB , and O . The American word is blood type .Thesaurus: heart, blood and circulationhyponym
* * *blood group,any one of the groups into which human blood may be divided on the basis of the presence or absence of certain substances that cause red cells to clump together; blood type. Blood groups are important in blood transfusions.
* * *n. any of the various types of human blood whose antigen characteristics determine compatibility in transfusion. The best known blood groups are those of the ABO system
* * *noun, pl ⋯ groups [count]: ↑blood type
* * *any of the different types that human blood is separated into for medical purposes: (BrE)
What blood group are you?
What blood type do you have?
blood group/type OSee also: ↑blood type
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
blood group — blood groups N COUNT: oft poss N Someone s blood group is the type of blood that they have in their body. There are four main types: A, B, AB, and O. Syn: blood type … English dictionary
blood group — blood′ group n. med any of various classes into which human blood can be divided according to immunological compatibility based on the presence or absence of specific antigens on red blood cells Also called blood type Compare ABO system Rh factor … From formal English to slang
blood group — n especially BrE one of the classes into which human blood can be separated, including A, B, AB and O American Equivalent: blood type … Dictionary of contemporary English
blood group — n. 1. any of several groups, or systems, of agglutinogens present on the surface of normal red blood cells, such as the ABO SYSTEM 2. BLOOD TYPE … English World dictionary
blood group — blood ,group noun count BRITISH BLOOD TYPE … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
blood group — ► NOUN ▪ any of various types of human blood classified according to their compatibility in transfusion, especially by means of the ABO system … English terms dictionary
blood group — Med. any of various classes into which human blood can be divided according to immunological compatibility, based on the presence or absence of specific antigens on red blood cells. Also called blood type. Cf. ABO system, Rh factor. [1915 20] * * … Universalium
Blood group — An inherited feature on the surface of the red blood cells. A series of related blood types constitute a blood group system such as the Rh or the ABO system. The frequencies of the ABO and Rh blood types vary from population to population. In the … Medical dictionary
blood group — any one of the many types into which a person s blood may be classified, based on the presence or absence of certain inherited antigens on the surface of the red blood cells. Blood of one group contains antibodies in the serum that react against… … The new mediacal dictionary
blood group — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms blood group : singular blood group plural blood groups medical British one of the groups that human blood can be divided into. The four main groups are A, B, AB, and O. The American word is blood type … English dictionary